Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Splintered by A.G. Howard

It takes a certain amount of guts to tinker with a familiar tale. Alice in Wonderland has been a part of my life since I was old enough to tell my mother to ditch the Dr. Seuss before bedtime. Rabbit holes, Mad Hatters and Cheshire Cats fill me with a pleasant nostalgia comparable to my favorite memories as a child… running through the trails of my best friend’s farm or riding bikes at sunset. Wonderland is beloved to me, and so I will admit that although I was anxious to get my greedy hands on an advanced copy of this much anticipated novel, I was a bit unnerved to read a story that continues the tale several generations later. But somehow A. G. Howard was able to use Wonderland as her canvas to paint an incredible story, one that has caused me to lean in closer to flower arrangements and study moths more carefully.

Splintered is as whimsical and magical as the story on which it is based, but Howard chips away at the playful pastel exterior to reveal a much darker, a much more sinister Wonderland. And she does so beautifully, somehow adding depth to a story with already so many layers including a delicious love triangle involving one of my favorite Wonderland characters. Some people are artists, and much like a dancer’s choreography is nothing without technique, a story is nothing without the gift of wording. To that degree, Splintered is completely spellbinding, and so I thought I’d tease you with some of my favorite quotes:



 “Alice has left ripples in our world that only you can smooth.”
 
“Our gazes touch in a way we can’t…”
 
“I look up into her face, eyes sky-bright blue and lips the lavender of November dusk.”
 
“But it’s too late. I’ve squeezed the tear, and the liquid drizzles down my wrist, warm with the  scent of brine and longing.”
 
“Sometimes a flame must level a forest to ash before new growth can begin.”

 

… I know… amazing.

Splintered will be released by Amulet in January of 2013. More gushing to come then…

 

Check out A.G. Howard at www.aghoward.com at www.goodreads.com/aghoward or visit her on Twitter @aghowardwrites!

14 comments:

  1. I have Pandora set to film scores, and the moment I published this post, I hear a haunting melody and look over to see the Mad Hatter prancing through giant mushrooms to one of Danny Elfman's pieces from the 2010 version. Eerie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry. Typos in the first comment. LOL.

    So, I just want to say wow. Wow on your beautiful tribute, and on the eerie coincidence. Thank you so much! And after reading some of your prose... these two phrases to be exact:

    "Howard chips away at the playful pastel exterior to reveal a much darker, a much more sinister Wonderland."

    "Some people are artists, and much like a dancer’s choreography is nothing without technique, a story is nothing without the gift of wording."

    ...I have a feeling I'm going to be posting my favorite quotes from "Of Breakable Things" in the not too distant future. :) Just lovely.

    Thank you again so much! I'm thrilled you enjoyed the story (and blessed to have you as a friend and writing collegue)! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you!! Not only for writing such an amazing story but for allowing me to be fortunate enough to read Splintered before its release! It is rare to find novels captivating (and well written) enough to sweep me out of my own world - I immensely enjoyed the mental vacation and cannot wait to escape into Wonderland (and Jeb's arms) again. I'm honored to call you my friend.

      Delete
  4. Good.Lord.

    What a glorious, well-deserved review and *swoons* you couldn't have chosen better quotes to declare the brilliance of this book.

    TEAM JEB FOR LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few moments there when my loyalty to Jeb wavered a bit... but in the end, he stole my heart :)

      Delete
  5. Reading those quotes just got me MORE excited about reading SPLINTERED (BTW, I'M NEXT, I'M NEXT!!! SQUEE!!). And Anita's right, you're quite the sculpter of words yourself! Such a lovely, litte write-up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, love! It's amazing! Hopefully Suzanne reads quickly, haha!

      Delete
  6. *swoons* Lovely review and write-up, Amy! I love the quotes you chose and I want to reread SPLINTERED over and over and over. IS IT JANUARY YET?!?!?

    Team JEB-MOPRH (I can't chooooooose)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerri! I can't wait to take nerdy little pictures of myself screaming and holding a copy of Splintered in the bookstore!

      Delete
  7. I'm excited to read Splintered too but I'm even more excited for OF Breakable things- It needs to be March... NOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be cooling my jets for a year and a half, UGH! Spring 2014 is the current release date.

      Delete
    2. yikes! That's a while. Oh well, at least I know I'll have a great book to buy in 2014

      Delete